Dr. O’Reardon has been in practice as a psychiatrist for 32 years. He completed his residency training at Penn and Fellowships in Psychopharmacology & Cognitive Therapy (including training at the Beck Institute). In his clinical work as a faculty member at Penn he focused on treatment-resistant mood disorders and neuromodulation. The latter is the development of brain devices to stimulate the brain and treat mood disorders. These devices, which are increasing all the time, include transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), deep brain stimulation (DBS), vagus nerve stimulation (VNS), EEG-synchronized TMS (sTMS), deep TMS (dTMS) and transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS).
Dr. O’Reardon was an active educator at Penn and over the years helped train more than a hundred psychiatry residents. He taught courses on neuromodulation, mood disorders and the History of Psychiatry. He has been a recipient of numerous teaching awards including the Earl Bond Award for excellence in teaching. He has been a frequent presenter at the annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association (APA). Most recently he has presented a symposium on historical figures and mood disorders called Art, Politics and Creativity: Resilience in the Face of Great Odds – including Abraham Lincoln, Vincent Van Gogh, Winston Churchill and Sylvia Plath.
Lastly he has made frequent appearances in the media in the Delaware Valley to provide his expertise in psychiatry. He has appeared on Radio Times with Marty Moss Coane and Voices in the Family with Dan Gottlieb as well as numerous interviews with Maiken Scott from WHYY.
Dr. O’Reardon has been an active and productive researcher during his career. He has authored over a hundred publications in his career encompassing new brain devices (TMS, sTMS, VNS, DBS and tDCS), major depression, bipolar disorder, ECT and the night eating syndrome. He has been a lead investigator in many cutting edge clinical trials of new treatments for patients. He is first author on the primary trial that led to FDA approval for TMS as new exciting treatment for major depression. His current research work is with another exciting emerging treatment modality for major depression, namely tDCS.
- 1. . McClintock SM; Martin DM; Lisanby SH; Alonzo A; McDonald WM; Aaronson ST; Husain MM; O’Reardon JP; Weickert CS; Mohan A; Loo CK. Neurocognitive effects of transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) in unipolar and bipolar depression: Findings from an international randomized controlled trial. Depression & Anxiety. 37(3):261-272, 2020 03.
- 2. Kim DR; Wang E; McGeehan B; Snell J; Ewing G; Iannelli C; O’Reardon JP; Sammel MD; Epperson CN. Randomized controlled trial of transcranial magnetic stimulation in pregnant women with major depressive disorder. Brain Stimulation. 12(1):96-102, 2019 Jan – Feb.
- 3. McClintock SM; Reti IM; Carpenter LL; McDonald WM; Dubin M; Taylor SF; Cook IA; O’Reardon J; Husain MM; Wall C; Krystal AD; Sampson SM; Morales O; Nelson BG; Latoussakis V; George MS; Lisanby SH. Consensus Recommendations for the Clinical Application of Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) in the Treatment of Depression. National Network of Depression Centers rTMS Task Group; American Psychiatric Association Council on Research Task Force on Novel Biomarkers and Treatments. Journal of Clin Psychiatry. 79(1), 2018 Jan/Feb.
- 4. Dr McClintock and Colleagues Reply: McClintock SM; Reti IM; Carpenter LL; McDonald WM; Dubin M; Taylor SF; Cook IA, O’Reardon J; Husain MM; Wall C; Krystal A; Sampson S; Morales O; Nelson BG, George MS; Lisanby SH. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 79(1), Jan/Feb. 2018
- 5. Loo CK, Husain MM, McDonald WM, Aaronson S, O’Reardon JP, Alonzo A, Weickert CS, Martin DM, McClintock SM, Mohan A, Lisanby SH. International randomized-controlled trial of transcranial Direct Current Stimulation in depression.; International Consortium of Research in tDCS (ICRT).Brain Stimul. 2018 Jan – Feb; 11(1):125-133.
- 6. Martin DM; McClintock SM; Aaronson ST; Alonzo A; Husain MM; Lisanby SH; McDonald WM; Mohan A; Nikolin S; O’Reardon J; Weickert CS; Loo CK. Pre-treatment attentional processing speed and antidepressant response to transcranial direct current stimulation: Results from an international randomized controlled trial. Brain Stimulation. 11(6):1282-1290, 2018 Nov – Dec.
- 7. Faden J, O’Reardon J Misdiagnosed Neurosyphilis associated with prolonged psychosis. Acta Neuropsychiatr. 2016 Dec;28(6):362-364.
- 8. Alonzo A, Aaronson S, Bikson M, Husain M, Lisanby S, Martin D, McClintock SM, McDonald WM, O’Reardon J, Esmailpoor Z, Loo C. Study design and methodology for a multicenter, randomized controlled trial of transcranial direct current stimulation as a treatment for unipolar and bipolar depression. Contemp Clin Trials. 2016 Nov;51:65-71.
- 9. Landy M, Cristancho MA, O’Reardon JP. Clinical efficacy of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in depression. In: Clinical Guide to the Administration of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Neuropsychiatric Disorders. Holtzheimer PE, McDonald W, Rolfes, M, et al, ed. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; In publication.
- 10. Efficacy of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) in the Treatment of Schizophrenia: A Review of the Literature to Date. Cole JC, Green Bernacki C, Helmer A, Pinninti N, O’Reardon JP. Innov Clin Neurosci. 2015 Jul-Aug;12(7-8):12-9
- 11. Efficacy and Safety of Low-field Synchronized Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (sTMS) for Treatment of Major Depression. Leuchter AF, Cook IA, Feifel D, Goethe JW, Husain M, Carpenter LL, Thase ME, Krystal AD, Philip NS, Bhati MT, Burke WJ, Howland RH, Sheline YI, Aaronson ST, Iosifescu DV, O’Reardon JP, Gilmer WS, Jain R, Burgoyne KS, Phillips B, Manberg PJ, Massaro J, Hunter AM, Lisanby SH, George MS. Brain Stimul. 2015 Jul-Aug;8(4):787-94
- 12. Neuromodulation and antenatal depression: a review. Kim DR, Snell JL, Ewing GC, O’Reardon J. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2015 Apr 7;11:975-82.
- 13. A Randomized Sham-Controlled Trial of Deep Brain Stimulation of the Ventral Capsule/Ventral Striatum for Chronic Treatment-Resistant Depression. Dougherty DD, Rezai AR, Carpenter LL, Howland RH, Bhati MT, O’Reardon JP, Eskandar EN, Baltuch GH, Machado AD, Kondziolka D, Cusin C, Evans KC, Price LH, Jacobs K, Pandya M, Denko T, Tyrka AR, Brelje T, Deckersbach T, Kubu C, Malone DA Jr. Biol Psychiatry. 2015 Aug 15;78(4):240-8
- 14. Transcranial magnetic stimulation in a 15-year-old patient with autism and comorbid depression. Cristancho P, Akkineni K, Constantino JN, Carter AR, O’Reardon JP. J ECT. 2014 Dec;30(4):e46-7.
- 15. Grant RA, Halpern CH, Baltuch GH, O’Reardon JP, Caplan A. Ethical considerations in deep brain stimulation for psychiatric illness. J Clin Neurosci 2014;21(1):1-5.
- 16. Cristancho MA, Helmer A, Connolly R, Cristancho P, O’Reardon JP. Transcranial magnetic stimulation maintenance as a substitute for maintenance electroconvulsive therapy: a case series. J ECT 2013 29(2):106-8.
- 17. Faden J, Leonard D, O’Reardon JP, Hanson R. Obesity as a defense mechanism. Int J Surg Case Rep 2013;4(1):127-9.
- 18. Aaronson ST, Carpenter LL, Conway CR, Reimherr FW, Lisanby SH, Schwartz TL, Moreno FA, Dunner DL, Lesem MD, Thompson PM, Husain M, Vine CJ, Banov MD, Bernstein LP, Lehman RB, Brannon GE, Keepers GA, O’Reardon JP, Rudolph RL, Bunker M. Vagus nerve stimulation therapy randomized to different amounts of electrical charge for treatment-resistant depression: acute and chronic effects. Brain Stimul 2013;6(4):631-40.
- 19. Cristancho MA, Cristancho P, O’Reardon JP. Other therapeutic psychiatric uses of superficial brain stimulation. Handbook+ Clin Neurol 2013;116:415-22.
- 20. Connolly KR, Helmer A, Cristancho MA, Cristancho P, O’Reardon JP. Effectiveness of Transcranial magnetic stimulation in clinical practice post-FDA approval in the United States: results observed with the first 100 consecutive cases of depression at an academic medical center. J Clin Psychiatry 2012;73(4):e567-73.
- 21. Weaver L, Rostain AL, Mace W, Akhtar U, Moss E, O’Reardon JP. Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) in the treatment of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in adolescents and young adults: a pilot study. J ECT 2012;28(2):98-103.
- 22. Julios-Costa MJ, Moyer M, O’Reardon JP. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors: an important but underutilized treatment part I: efficacy. Psychopharm Review 2012;47(10):73-80.
- 23. Julios-Costa MJ, Moyer M, O’Reardon JP. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors: an important but underutilized treatment part II: safety. Psychopharm Review 2012;47(10):81-88.
- 24. Cristancho P, Cristancho MA, Baltuch GH, Thase ME, O’Reardon JP. Effectiveness and safety of vagus nerve stimulation for severe treatment-resistant major depression in clinical practice after FDA approval: outcomes at 1 year. J Clin Psychiatry 2011;72(10):1376-82.
- 25. Rosenthal LJ, Goldner WS, O’Reardon JP. T3 augmentation in major depressive disorder: safety considerations. Am J Psychiatry 2011;168(10):1035-40.
- 26. O’Reardon JP, Cristancho MA, Ryley B, Patel KR, Haber HL. Electroconvulsive therapy for treatment of major depression in a 100-year-old patient with severe aortic stenosis: a 5-year follow-up report. J ECT 2011;27(3):227-30.
- 27. O’Reardon JP, Cristancho MA, von Andreae CV, Cristancho P, Weiss D. Acute and maintenance electroconvulsive therapy for treatment of severe major depression during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy with infant follow-up to 18 months: case report and review of the literature. J ECT 2011;27(1):223-6.
- 28. Kim DR, Epperson N, Pare E, Gonzalez JM, Parry S, Thase ME, Cristancho P, Sammel MD, O’Reardon JP. An open label pilot study of Transcranial magnetic stimulation for pregnant women with major depressive disorder. J Womens Health 2011;20(2):255-61.
- 29. Kim DR, Sockol L, Barber JP, Moseley M, Lamprou L, Rickels K, O’Reardon JP, Epperson CN. A survey of patient acceptability of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) during pregnancy. J Affect Disord 2011;129(1-3):385-390.
- 30. Chen Y, Wan HI, O’Reardon JP, Wang DJ, Wang Z, Korczykowski M, Detre JA. Quantification of cerebral blood flow as biomarker of drug effect: arterial spin labeling phMRI after a single dose of oral citalopram. Clin Pharmcol Ther 2011;89(2):251-8.
- 31. Kim D, O’Reardon JP. Editorial: the treatment of depression during pregnancy. Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 2011;48(1):3-5.
- 32. O’Reardon JP, Solvason HB, Janicak PG, Sampson S, Isenberg KE, Nahas Z, McDonald WM, Avery D, Fitzgerald PB, Loo C, Demitrack MA, George MS, Sackeim HA. Reply regarding “efficacy and safety of transcranial magnetic stimulation in the acute treatment of major depression: a multisite randomized controlled trial.” Biol Psychiatry 20105;67(2):e15-7.
- 33. Allison KC, Lundgren JD, O’Reardon JP, Geliebter A, Gluck ME, Vinai P, Mitchell JE, Schenck CH, Howell MJ, Crow SJ, Engel S, Latzer Y, Tzischinsky O, Mahowald MW, Stunkard AJ. Proposed diagnostic criteria for night eating syndrome. Int J Eat Dis. 2010;43(3):241-7.
- 34. Janicak PG, Nahas Z, Lisanby SH, Solvason HB, Sampson SM, McDonald WM, Marangall LB, Rosenquist P, McCall WV, Kimball J, O’Reardon JP, Loo C, Husain MH, Krystal A, Gilmer W, Dowd SM, Demitrack MA, Schatzberg AF. Durability of clinical benefit with Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) in the treatment of pharmacoresistant major depression: assessment of relapse during a 6-month, multisite, open-label study. Brain Stimul 2010;3:187-99.
- 35. Pesiridou A, Baquero G, Cristancho P, Wakil L, Altinay M, Kim D, O’Reardon JP. A case of delayed onset of threatened premature labor in association with electroconvulsive therapy in the third trimester of pregnancy. J ECT 2010;26:228-30.
- 36. Allison KC, Lundgren JD, Moore RH, O’Reardon JP, Stunkard AJ. Cognitive behavior therapy for night eating syndrome: a pilot study. Am J Psychother. 2010;64(1):91-106.
- 37. Kim DR, O’Reardon JP, Epperson CN. Guidelines for the management of depression during pregnancy. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2010;12(4):279-81.
- 38. Cristancho MA, Satterthwaite TD, O’Reardon JP. Cardiac complications of ECT: myocardial stunning syndrome and takotsubo cardiomyopathy after ECT: different names for the same phenomenon. J ECT. 2010;26(2):146-7.
- 39. Goel N, Stunkard AJ, Rogers NL, Van Dongen HP, Allison KC, O’Reardon JP, Ahima RS, Cummings DE, Heo M, Dinges DF. Circadian rhythm profiles in women with night eating syndrome. J Biol Rhythms. 2009;24(1):85-94.
- 40. O’Reardon JP. Pharmacologic and therapeutic strategies in treatment-resistant depression. Introduction and clinical presentations. CNS Spectr. 2009 Mar; 14(Suppl 4):4-6.
- 41. Stunkard AJ, Allison KC, Geliebter A, Lundgren JD, Gluck ME, O’Reardon JP. Development of criteria for a diagnosis: lessons from the night eating syndrome. Compr Psychiatry 2009;50:391-399.
- 42. Stunkard AJ, Allison KC, Lundgren JD, O’Reardon JP. A biobehavioural model of the night eating syndrome. Obes Rev 2009;10 Suppl 2:69-77.
- 43. Wakil L, Epperson CN, Gonzalez J, O’Reardon JP, Kim DR. Neonatal outcomes with the use of lamotrigine for bipolar disorder in pregnancy and breastfeeding: a case series and review of the literature. Psychopharmacol Bull 2009;42:91-8.
- 44. Satterthwaite TD, Cristancho MA, Alici Y, Weiss D, O’Reardon JP. Electroconvulsive therapy in a 72-year-old woman with a history of Takotsubo cardiomyopathy: a case report and review of the literature. Brain Stimul 2009;2:238-40.
- 45. George MS, Padberg F, Schlaepfer TE, O’Reardon JP, Fitzgerald PB, Nahas ZH, Marcolin MA. Controversy: repetitive Transcranial stimulation or Transcranial direct current stimulation shows efficacy in treating psychiatric diseases (depression, mania, schizophrenia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic, posttraumatic stress disorder). Brain Stimul 2009;2:14-21.
- 46. O’Reardon JP. Pharmacologic and therapeutic strategies in treatment-resistant depression: introduction and clinical presentations. CNS Spectr 2009;14(3 Suppl 4):4-6.
- 47. Kim DR, Gonzalez J, O’Reardon JP. Pregnancy and depression: exploring a new potential treatment option. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2009;11(6):443-6.
- 48. Kim DR, Pesiridou A, O’Reardon JP. Transcranial magnetic stimulation in the treatment of psychiatric disorders. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2009;11(6):447-52.
- 49. Shah DB, Pesiridou A, Baltuch GH, Malone DA, O’Reardon JP. Functional neurosurgery in the treatment of severe obsessive compulsive disorder and major depression: overview of disease circuits and therapeutic targeting for the clinician. Psychiatry 2008;5:24-33.
- 50. Dunner DL, Wilson M, Fava M, Kornstein S, Munoz R, O’Reardon J, Trivedi M, Wohlreich M. Long-term tolerability and effectiveness of duloxetine in the treatment of major depressive disorder. Depress Anxiety 2008;25:E1-8.
- 51. O’Reardon JP, Cristancho MA, Cristancho P, Fontecha JF, Weiss D. Electroconvulsive therapy in a 96-year-old patient with severe aortic stenosis: a case report and review of the literature. J ECT 2008;24:96-8.
- 52. Allison KC, Lundgren JD, O’Reardon JP, Martino NS, Sarwer DB, Wadden TA, Crosby R, Engel S, Stunkard AJ. The Night Eating Questionnaire (NEQ): psychometric properties of a measure of severity of the Night Eating Syndrome. Eat Behav 2008;9:62-72.
- 53. O’Reardon JP, Lott J, Akhtar U, Cristancho P, Weiss D, Jones N. Acute coronary syndrome (Takotsubo cardiomyopathy) following electroconvulsive therapy in the absence of significant coronary artery disease: case report and review of the literature. J ECT 2008;24:277-80.
- 54. Janicak PG, O’Reardon JP, Sampson SM, Husain MM, Lisanby SH, Rado JT, Demitrack MA. Transcranial magnetic stimulation in the treatment of major depressive disorder: a comprehensive summary of safety experience from acute exposure, extended exposure, and during reintroduction treatment. J Clin Psychiatry 2008;69:222-232.
- 55. Petersen T, Perlis RH, Ticknor C, Lohr J, Solvason HB, O’Reardon JP, Wohlreich MM, Andreotti C, Wilson M, Fava M. Efficacy of duloxetine for the treatment of depression: relationship to most recent antidepressant trial. Psychopharmacol Bull 2008;41:34-45.
- 56. Lundgren JD, Allison KC, O’Reardon JP, Stunkard AJ. A descriptive study of non-obese persons with night eating syndrome and a weight-matched comparison group. Eat Behav 2008;9:343-51.
- 57. Allison KC, Engel SG, Crosby RD, de Zwaan M, O’Reardon JP, Wonderlich SA, Mitchell JE, Smith West D, Wadden TA, Stunkard AJ. Evaluation of diagnostic criteria for night eating syndrome using item response theory analysis. Eat Behav 2008;9:398-407.
- 58. O’Reardon JP, Groff KE, Stunkard AJ, Allison KC. Night eating syndrome and results from the first placebo-controlled trial of treatment, with the SSRI medication, sertraline: implications for clinical practice. Progress in Neurotherapeutics and Neuropsychopharmacology 2008;3:241-57.
- 59. Shah D, Weaver L, O’Reardon JP. Transcranial magnetic stimulation: a device intended for the psychiatrist’s office, but what is its future clinical role? Exp Rev Devices 2008;5:559-66.
- 60. Cristancho MA, Alici Y, Augoustides JG, O’Reardon JP. Uncommon but serious complications associated with electroconvulsive therapy: recognition and management for the clinician. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2008 Dec;10:474-80.
- 61. Lundgren JD, O’Reardon JP, Allison KC, Spresser CD. Sleep and Quality of Life in Eating Disorders. In: Sleep and Quality of Life in Medical Illness Verster JC, Pandi Perumal SR, Streiner DL, Editors. 2008.
- 62. O’Reardon JP, Cristancho P, Pilania P, Bapatla K, Chuai S, Peshek AD. Patients with a major depressive episode responding to treatment with repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) are resistant to the effects of rapid tryptophan depletion. Depress Anxiety 2007;24:537-44.
- 63. Allison K, Lundgren J, O’Reardon J, Moore R, Stunkard A. Comparing the clinical significance of the different typologies of night eating syndrome. Obesity 2007; 15: A 9-10.
- 64. O’Reardon JP, Solvason HB, Janicak PG, Sampson S, Isenberg KE, Nahas Z, McDonald WF, Avery D, Fitzgerald PB, Loo C, Demitrack MA, George MS, Sackeim HA. Efficacy and safety of transcranial magnetic stimulation in the acute treatment of major depression: a multisite randomized controlled trial. Biol Psychiatry 2007;62:1208-16.
- 65. Janicak PG, Dowd S, Rado J, Welch MJ, Fogg L, O’Reardon JP, Avery D, Coffey CE, Sampson S, Boutros N. Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation versus electroconvulsive therapy: efficacy of treatment in nonpsychotic patients with depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164:1118.
- 66. O’Reardon JP, Fontecha JF, Cristancho MA, Newman S. Unexpected reduction in migraine and psychogenic headaches following rTMS treatment for major depression: a report of two cases. CNS Spectr 2007;12:921-925.
- 67. Bhati MT, Datto CJ, O’Reardon JP. in the treatment of Catatonia and prediction of response to Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT). Psychiatry Annals 2007;1:57-64.
- 68. Bhati MT, Datto CJ, O’Reardon JP. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and empirical treatments for catatonia. Psychiatry 2007;4:46-52.
- 69. Wyche MC, O’Reardon J, Carpenter LL. Neurostimulation Therapies for Depression: Acute and Long term outcomes. Depression: Mind and Body 2007;3:106-114.
- 70. O’Reardon JP. Evolution of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation as a treatment for Major Depression. J Clinical Psychiatry 2007;2:318-322.
- 71. Lundgren JD, Allison KC, Crow S, Berg KC, Galbraith J, Martino NS, O’Reardon JP, Stunkard AJ. Prevalence of the night eating syndrome in a psychiatric population. Am J Psychiatry 2006;163:156-8.
- 72. O’Reardon JP, Allison KC, Martino NS, Lundgren JD, Heo M, Stunkard AJ. A randomized placebo-controlled trial of sertraline in the treatment of the night eating syndrome. Am J Psychiatry 2006;163:893-8.
- 73. Rogers NL, Dinges DF, Allison KC, Maislin G, Martino N, O’Reardon JP, Stunkard AJ. Assessment of sleep in women with night eating syndrome. Sleep 2006;29:814-19.
- 74. Stunkard AJ, Allison KC, Lundgren JD, Martino N, Heo M, Etemad B, O’Reardon, JP. A paradigm for facilitating pharmacotherapy at a distance: sertraline treatment of the night eating syndrome. J Clin Psychiatry 2006;67:1568-1572.
- 75. O’Reardon JP, Takieddine N, Datto CJ, Augoustides JG. Propofol for the management of emergence agitation after electroconvulsive therapy: review of a case series. J ECT 2006; 22:247-252.
- 76. O’Reardon JP, Peshek AD, Romero Pradilla R, Cristancho P. Neuromodulation and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): a 21st century paradigm for therapeutics in psychiatry. Psychiatry 2006;3:30-40.
- 77. O’Reardon JP, Cristancho P, Peshek AD. Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) and treatment of depression: to the brainstem and beyond. Psychiatry 2006;5:54-63.
- 78. O’Reardon JP, Bapatla KB, Akhtar U. A case study of refractory depression with a delayed response to vagus nerve stimulation. Depression: Mind and Body 2006;3:32-34.
- 79. Augoustides JG, Hosalkar HH, O’Reardon JP, Kofke WA, Datto CJ. Customized anesthetic preservation of ictal threshold in electroconvulsive therapy: role of adjunctive remifentanil with etomidate. J ECT 2005;21:128-131.
- 80. Hollon SD, DeRubeis RJ, Shelton RC, Amsterdam JD, Salomon RM, O’Reardon JP, Lovett ML, Young PR, Haman KL, Freeman BB, Gallop R. Prevention of relapse following cognitive therapy versus medications in moderate to severe depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:417-422.
- 81. DeRubeis RJ, Hollon SD, Amsterdam JD, Shelton RC, Young PR, Salomon RM, O’Reardon JP, Lovett ML, Gladis MM, Brown LL, Gallop R. Cognitive therapy vs. medications in the treatment of moderate to severe depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:409-416.
- 82. Stunkard AJ, Allison KC, O’Reardon JP. The night eating syndrome: a progress report. Appetite 2005;45:182-6.
- 83. Allison KC, Ahima RS, O’Reardon JP, Dinges DF, Sharma V, Cummings DE, Heo M, Martino N, Stunkard AJ. Neuroendocrine profiles associated with energy intake, sleep, and stress in the night eating syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005;90:6214-7.
- 84. O’Reardon JP, Blumner KH, Peshek A, Pradilla RR, Pimiento PC. Long-term maintenance therapy for major depression with rTMS. J Clin Psychiatry 2005;66:1524-1528.
- 85. O’Reardon JP, Peshek AD, Allison KC. Night eating syndrome: diagnosis, epidemiology and management CNS Drugs 2005;19:997-1008.
- 86. Brunswick DJ, Goodman DBP, O’Reardon JP, Chopra M, Amsterdam JD. Pindolol does not augment cortisol and prolactin responses to paroxetine in healthy subjects. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2004;28:477-80.
- 87. Int J Eat Disord. 2004;35:217-22.
- 88. O’Reardon JP, Stunkard AJ, Allison KC. Clinical trial of sertraline in the treatment of night eating syndrome. Int J Eat Dis 2004;35:16-26.
- 89. O’Reardon JP, Chopra MP, Bergan A, Gallop R, DeRubeis RJ, Crits-Christoph P. Response to tryptophan depletion in major depression treated either with cognitive therapy or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Biol Psychiatry 2004;55:957-959.
- 90. O’Reardon JP, Ringel BL, Dinges DF, Allison KC, Rogers NL, Martino NS, Stunkard AJ. Circadian eating and sleeping patterns in the night eating syndrome. Obes Res 2004;12:1789-1796.
- 91. Ballas C, Yang C, O’Reardon J, Baldassano C. Ziprasidone: a novel psychotropic with unique properties. Expert Rev Neurother 2004;4:179-86.
- 92. Baldassano CF, Ballas CA, O’Reardon JP. Rethinking the treatment paradigm for bipolar depression: the importance of long-term management CNS Spectr. 2004; 9:11-8.
- 93. Farah MJ, Brotman MA, DeRubeis R, Wang JJ, Detre JA, Egeth MJ, Cornew LA, O’Reardon JP. The mind and the amygdala: a quantitative fMRI study of amygdala perfusion during cognitive mood induction. Brain Cogn 2003;51:183-4.
- 94. O’Reardon JP, Brotman MA, DeRubeis R, Wang JJ, Detre JA, Egeth MJ, Cornew LA, Farah MJ. Prefrontal-amygdala interaction and mood regulation: a perfusion fMRI study. Brain Cogn 2003;51:184-6.
- 95. Baldassano CF, Ballas C, Datto SM, Kim D, Littman L, O’Reardon J, Rynn MA. Ziprasidone-associated mania: a case series and review of the mechanism. Bipolar Disord 2003;5:72-75.
- 96. Stunkard, A. J., Allison, K. C., & O’Reardon, J. P. The night eating syndrome: new findings. Obes Res 2003;11: A23.
- 97. O’Reardon JP, Allison KC, Fox CG, Martino NS, Dinges DF, Stunkard AJ. Comparison of in-lab polysomnography in night eating syndrome and overweight controls. Sleep 2003;26 (supplement):A378.
- 98. Augustides JG, Greenblatt E, Abbas MA, O’Reardon JP, Datto CJ. Clinical approach to agitation after electroconvulsive therapy: a case report and literature review J ECT 2002;18:213-217.
- 99. O’Reardon JP, Hetznecker JM, Baldassano CF, Szuba MP Desipramine toxicity with terbinafine. Am J Psychiatry 2002;159:492.
- 100. Amsterdam JD, Brunswick DJ, O’Reardon JP. Bipolar Disorder in women Psychiatr Ann 2002;32: 397-404.
- 101. Fernando AT, O’Reardon JP Diagnosing Insomnia, New Ethicals Journal, NZ 2002
- 102. Fernando AT, O’Reardon JP Managing Insomnia, New Ethicals Journal, NZ 2002
- 103. Szuba MP, O’Reardon JP, Rai AS, Snyder-Kastenberg J, Amsterdam JD, Gettes DR, Wassermann E, Evans DL . Acute mood and thyroid stimulating hormone effects of transcranial magnetic stimulation in major depression. Biol Psychiatry 2001;50:22-27.
- 104. O’Reardon J, Amsterdam JD: Medical disorders and treatment-resistant depression. In: Amsterdam JD, Hornig M, Nierenberg AN, Editors. Treatment-resistant mood disorders Cambridge University Press, England 2001. p. 405-29.
- 105. O’Reardon J, Amsterdam JD: Overview of treatment-resistant depression. 30-46 In: Treatment-resistant mood disorders. Amsterdam JD, Hornig M, Nierenberg AN, Editors. Cambridge University Press, England 2001. p 30-46
- 106. Szuba MP, O’Reardon JP, Evans DL. Physiological effects of electroconvulsive therapy and transcranial magnetic stimulation in major depression. Depress Anxiety 2000;12: 170-177.
- 107. O’Reardon JP, Amsterdam JD, Brunswick D. Treatment Resistant Depression in the age of serotonin: evolving strategies. Curr Opin Psychiatry 2000;13:93-98
- 108. Nair SRN, O’Reardon JP, Sethi SS, Amsterdam JD. Bipolar Disorder: For women a mixed picture. Psychiatr Ann 2000;30: 465-471
- 109. O’Reardon J, Amsterdam JD: Mechanisms and management of treatment-resistant depression. In: Halbreich U, Montgomery SA, Editors. Pharmacotherapy for mood, anxiety and cognitive disorders American Psychiatric Press 2000. p. 285-304.
- 110. Wingate B, O’Reardon J: Eating and Weight Disorders. In: Psychiatric Disorders for Primary Care Practitioners. Gliatto M (Ed) APA Press, Washington D.C., 1999. p. 187-98.
- 111. O’Reardon JP, Amsterdam JD: Treatment-resistant depression – progress and limitations. Psychiatr Ann 1998;28:633-40.
- 112. O’Reardon JP, O’Leary T: Diabetes in general practice: role of GP mini-clinics. Forum-J Irish Col of Gen Practice 1989;2;5
1. Allison K C, O’Reardon J P, Rogers N L, Martino, N S, Ringel BL, Dinges D.F, Stunkard A J. Actigraphic and sleep diary assessment of sleep in night eating syndrome. APSS meeting 2003
2. O’Reardon J.P, Rogers N L, Allison, K C, Fox CG, Martino N S, Dinges D F, Stunkard A. J. Comparison of in-lab polysomnography in night eating syndrome patients and overweight controls APSS meeting 2003
3. O’Reardon JP, Littman L, Fernando A, Sethi SS, Szuba MP. Effective and Safe Use of Rapid Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) to Augment Lithium and a Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI) in a Case of Treatment Refractory Depression. CINP meeting 2003
4. Cruz YM, Baldassano CF, DeMichele S, O’Reardon J, Staab JP. Smoking patterns across psychiatric disorders: How often do we tell our patients to stop? Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association 2003
5. O’Reardon JP, Rogers N L, Allison KC, Martino N S, Dinges D F, Stunkard AJ Actigraphy and Diary assessment of the circadian rhythms of sleep and food intake in Night Eating Syndrome AED meeting 2004
6. O’Reardon JP, Allison KC, Martino NS, Stunkard AJ. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of sertraline in the night eating syndrome. NAASO meeting 2004
7. Lundgren JD, Allison KC, Martino NS, O’Reardon JP, Stunkard AJ. A comparison of normal weight and obese night eaters. Academy of Eating Disorders. May 2005
8. Lundgren, J.D., Allison, K.C., O’Reardon, J.P., Martino, N.S., Sarwer, D.B., Wadden, T.A., & Stunkard, A.J. (to be presented November 2005). The night eating questionnaire (NEQ): Psychometric properties of a screening tool for the diagnosis of night eating syndrome. Poster session to be presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies Special Interest Group Poster Exposition, Washington, D.C.
9. O’Reardon, JP, Aaronson, S, Avery, D, Canterbury, R, Daskalakis, ZJ, Demitrack, MA, Fitzgerald, P, George, M, Gilmer, W, Gutierrez, R, Husain, M, Isenberg, K, Janicak, P, Krystal, A, Lisanby, SH, Loo, C, Maixner, D, Marangell, L, McDonald, W, Nahas, Z, , Richelson, E, Rosenquist, P, Sackeim, H, Sampson, S, Solvason, HB. Efficacy and Safety of transcranial magnetic stimulation in the acute treatment of major depression: a multi-site randomized controlled trial. Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, Toronto, Canada, May 23, 2006.
10. Aaronson, S, Avery, D, Canterbury, R, Daskalakis, ZJ, Demitrack, MA, Fitzgerald, P, George, M, Gilmer, W, Gutierrez, R, Husain, M, Isenberg, K, Janicak, P, Krystal, A, Lisanby, SH, Loo, C, Maixner, D, Marangell, L, McDonald, W, Nahas, Z, O’Reardon, JP, Richelson, E, Rosenquist, P, Sackeim, H, Sampson, S, Solvason, HB. Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation: Effectiveness and Safety in a Randomized, Controlled, Multisite Clinical Trial and an Open-Label Extension Study. Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP), Hollywood, FL. December 2006.
11. Goel, N, Stunkard, AJ, Rogers, NL, Van Dongen, H, Allison, KC, O’Reardon, JP, Ahima, RS, Sharma, V, Cummings, DE, Heo, M, Dinges, DF. Circadian rhythm profiles in night eating syndrome. Cold Spring Harbor 72nd Symposium on Clocks and Rhythms.
12. Cristancho P, Cristancho MA, O’Reardon JP. Effectiveness and Safety of Vagus Nerve Stimulation in clinical practice: outcomes at 6 months. Annual Colloquium of Scholars. Philadelphia Psychiatric Society, Philadelphia, PA. March 31st, 2007.
13. Goel, N., Stunkard, A.J., Rogers, N.L., Van Dongen, H.P.A., Allison, K.C., O’Reardon, J.P., et al. (2007). “Circadian Rhythm Profiles in Night Eating Syndrome.” Society Light Treatment. Biology Rhythms Abstract, 19:10.
- O’Reardon JP. John O’Reardon, M.D. on treatment resistant depression. The Carlat Psychiatry Report 2003;1(1).
- O’Reardon, J. P. (2008, May 13). Preview and Panel Discussion on Depression. Wider Horizons. (Dr. D. Gottlieb, Interviewer, WHYY Radio)
- O’Reardon, J. P. (2010, October 18). Cure or Curse? A look at tody’s Electroconvulsive Therapy. News and Information. (M. Scott, Interviewer, WHYY Radio)
- O’Reardon, J. P. (2011, January 21). Emerging Treatments in Depression. RadioTimes. (M. Moss-Coane, Interviewer, WHYY Radio)
- O’Reardon, J. P. (2011, July 27). One chance left: one woman’s battle to beat depression. Newsworks. (M. Scott, Interviewer, WHYY Radio)
- O’Reardon, J. P. (2013, April 17). ‘Pacemakers for brain’ offer new treatment options for depression at N.J. center. (M. Scott, Interviewer, WHYY Radio)
- O’Reardon JP (2015). Is depression contagious? A fresh look at a debilitating condition (Dr. Dan Gottlieb, Interviewer, WHYY Radio)